Tuesday, July 17, 2012

AKG D12


The AKG D12 is one of my all time favorite kick drum (among other things) microphones.  Mine has been in dire need of repair for quite a while, so I finally decided to take it apart and fix it.  The good thing was the capsule is fine and works the way it should, the problem was the wiring and casing.  I installed new higher gauge wire to the transformer and hooked it up for balanced operation.  The entire mic felt unstable and wobbly so I also had to tighten all of the nuts inside.  The one remaining thing I need to do is find some more screws to hold the shaft of the mic together because right now it is held together with 1 screw on the XLR and one at the top of the shaft connecting it to the diaphragm mount. I also removed the switch that was on the shaft as it was totally unnecessary.  Once I was finished the mic sounded perfect.  I think the biggest factor was fixing the unstable mounting of all the components.

No comments:

Post a Comment